The project delivers a conversion of a 1849 Grade 2* listed former Chapel into luxury accommodation. Located within the Old Brompton Hospital site, the site is constrained on all sides by residential buildings, allowing no vehicle access.
The structural philosophy was fundamental to gaining Planning and English Heritage approval. Steel screw-piles supporting a hot-rolled steel frame structure were proposed to have negligible effect on the existing structure, take no support from the existing structure, minimise disruption to the existing building fabric and to design all proposed structural elements to be fully demountable/reversible.
Exposed steel sections were designed in cruciform shape using equal angles to ease installation and add to the architecture. Beam sections were formed similarly with double-up PFC sections, with standardised bolted plate connections.